Indophiles

Saturday, December 24, 2005

Roche signs Tamiflu deal with Indian company

The healthcare industry has been facing rough weather in the last few years over neglect of poor nations and over-priced drugs in underdeveloped/developing nations. With several govt's forcing these companies to lower prices or allow low cost drug firms to proliferate with little regard for IPO laws -- the industry has had a very tumultous period.

This deal marks a big turning point in the Industry. FT reports that, " Roche, the Swiss pharmaceutical group, has signed a pioneering deal authorising an Indian drugs company to manufacture and sell its antiviral flu medicine Tamiflu under licence in a number of developing countries.Hetero, based in Hyderabad, becomes the second drug company after Shanghai Pharmaceutical Group to receive a sub-licence that will allow it to sell large volumes of Tamiflu at a price that it chooses.

Roche is under growing pressure to meet escalating global demand at low cost for Tamiflu, the best currently available treatment and potential prophylactic against a future bird flu pandemic.The Indian deal is important because for the first time it authorises a partner company to produce and sell Tamiflu not only in its home market – as is the case with Shanghai – but also in other less developed and developing countries.He said Hetero would pay a royalty to Roche but would not elaborate on the amount. He said it was relatively modest, to reflect the fact that Roche must also pay a proportion of the revenues to Gilead, the US company that developed Tamiflu and has the original patents."

1 Comments:

  • My name is Mike Conlin and i would like to show you my personal experience with Tamiflu.

    I am 26 years old. Have been on Tamiflu for 5 days now. This stuff ROCKS. I was running a 104 Fever ... felt like I was doing to die, was snapping at everyone, etc. I got home and took my first dose along with a dose of Robotussin for my cough. I woke up 3 hours later and my fever dropped from 103.7 to 99.3. It fluctuated a little after that but remained under 100. Body Aches were gone. I was sweating like a mad man but that was probably the fever breaking.

    I have experienced some of these side effects-
    Mild nausea .. almost puked on first dose. Also had mental fog going on. Concentration was difficult but my doctor forwarned me it makes you 'loopy'.

    I hope this information will be useful to others,
    Mike Conlin

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home